Thursday, January 16, 2014

I LOVE JANUARY!!!

I love January!  No.  I do not love the weather.  My team is out of the playoffs.  I'm tired of my winter clothes.  I can't go for a decent run in all this ice.  So.....Why do I love January? ( LOVE JANUARY?) It is because the students show so much progress!  It is simply incredible to watch as my students start to "get it" when we read, write, add or simply make our way around the school.  I love January.

Conferences:  I look forward to seeing all of you at our conferences.  You should have received an email from me last week with your conference time.   I will post the final schedule next week.  I am eager to share with you your child's progress and discuss goals for the rest of the year.  While these are our last formal conferences for the year, I sincerely hope you feel comfortable requesting a conference if you have any questions for the remainder of the year.

Reading and Writing:  We are focusing on sequencing events in a story.  We are also working on naming the main idea of a non-fiction story.  We continue to work on using a capital letter to start a sentence and only lower case letters for the rest of the sentence.  As your child writes at home, please encourage correct punctuation.

Math:  We are working on number bonds, odd and even numbers and beginning place value concepts.  

Science:  In February we will dive into a unit on water!  Splash!

100th day: February 7th will be our 100th day of school!  We will celebrate in big ways!  Please look at the homework packet for additional information about this day and HOW YOU CAN HELP! 

On a personal note: You have all been incredibly patient and gracious as I nursed my husband's broken leg and the herniated disc that followed.   Unfortunately, I am called to the nursing profession one more time this year.  My father has been diagnosed with a rare kidney cancer and I am heading home to Green Bay for  surgery and some recovery next week.  Sadly, my uncle is also in critical care and fighting for his life right now. I will be out next Thursday and Friday for sure and possibly on Wednesday.  On Thursday and Friday Ms. Billie Lara will be my sub.  I have worked with her several times in the past couple of years as she has covered maternity leaves and will likely cover Ms. Ricchio's leave later this year.  She is an Irving treasure and the kids know her already.  I will keep you posted if additional days are needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment